The Anchor Online, the University of Hartfiord alumni online community is provided to encourage communication among students and alumni for personal and professional networking and university-related activities. Please read these Terms & Conditions of Use carefully before registering for the Online Community.
ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS
DESCRIPTION OF SERVICE
USER ACCOUNT, PASSWORD AND SECURITY
POLICY AND GUIDELINES FOR PROPER USE
RULES FOR ONLINE CONDUCT
ADVERTISER INFORMATION AND LINKS
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
ACCEPTANCE OF TERMSBack to top
By registering for the Alumni Association Online Community (the "Service") available at www.anchor.org (the "Site" or "Sites"), you signify that you have read these Terms & Conditions of Use ("Terms") and agree to use the Service in a manner consistent with all applicable laws and regulations and in accordance with the policies and guidelines outlined below. The University of Hartford Alumni Association (the "Alumni Association") reserves the right to modify these Terms at any time and will publish notice of any such modifications online at this Site. The Alumni Association encourages you to review the most current version of the Terms periodically. Your continued use of the Service will constitute your agreement to these Terms, including but not limited to any modifications. Please note that you will be referred to as "User" from time to time in this Agreement.
DESCRIPTION OF SERVICEBack to top
The Alumni Association currently provides the User with access to the Online Community, which includes the alumni and student Directory and related online services, a collection of information, communication tools and other on-line resources that the Alumni Association owns, operates and licenses. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all new features implemented to enhance the current Service, including but not limited to the release of new Alumni Association services, are subject to these Terms. The Alumni Association reserves the right from time to time and at any time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service (or any part of the Service) with or without notice. The Alumni Association is not liable to the User or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.
REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONSBack to top
To obtain access to all features and functions of the Service, you must complete and submit the registration form online. Without doing that, you may be able to access limited parts of the Service, but not be able to fully access, or interact with others on, the Service. You must provide accurate, current and complete information about yourself (the "Registration Data") as prompted by the Service's registration form, and maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it accurate, current and complete.
USER ACCOUNT, PASSWORD AND SECURITYBack to top
Upon completing the registration process to access the Service, you will receive a user account designation and password. User accounts and passwords may not be shared, transferred or sold to other parties, nor are they to be commissioned for use or access by any person or party except the User. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your user account and password and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password or account. You must immediately notify the Alumni Association of any unauthorized use of your user account or password or any other breach of security. The Alumni Association will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this section.
Use of Links
Throughout our Web pages, we provide links to other servers which may contain information of interest to our readers. We take no responsibility for, and exercise no control over, the organizations, views, or accuracy of the information contained on other servers.
Creating a text link from your Web site to our site does not require permission. If you have a link you'd like us to consider adding to our Web site, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Link request."
Use of Text and Images
If you would like to publish information that you find on our Web site, please send your request to email@example.com. Where text or images are posted on our site with the permission of the original copyright holder, a copyright statement appears at the bottom of the page.
Information about using our logo and images is available in Media Resources.
This Web site is designed to be accessible to visitors with disabilities, and to comply with federal guidelines concerning accessibility. We welcome your comments. If you have suggestions on how to make the site more accessible, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have created this statement to demonstrate our firm commitment to your privacy. We do not collect personally identifying information about you when you visit our site, unless you choose to provide such information to us. Providing such information is strictly voluntary. This policy is your guide to how we will handle information we learn about you from your visit to our Web site.
Reading or Downloading
We collect and store only the following information about you: the name of the domain from which you access the Internet (for example, aol.com, if you are connecting from an America Online account, or princeton.edu if you are connecting from Princeton University's domain), the date and time you access our site, and the Internet address of the Web site from which you linked to our site.
We use the information we collect to measure the number of visitors to the different sections of our site, and to help us make our site more useful to visitors.
Online Profile Updates and Donations
If you complete the Profile update form and share your personally identifying information, this information will be used only to provide you with more targeted content. We may use your contact information to send further information about our organization or to contact you when necessary. You may always opt-out of receiving future mailings; see the "Opt Out" section below.
Sending us an Email
You also may decide to send us personally identifying information, for example, in an electronic mail message containing a question or comment, or by filling out a Web form that provides us this information. We use personally identifying information from email primarily to respond to your requests. We may forward your email to other employees who are better able to answer you questions. We may also use your email to contact you in the future about our programs that may be of interest.
We want to be very clear: We will not obtain personally identifying information about you when you visit our site, unless you choose to provide such information to us. Providing such information is strictly voluntary. Except as might be required by law, we do not share any information we receive with any outside parties.
If you sign up for one of our email lists, we will only send you the kinds of information you have requested. We won't share your name or email address with any outside parties.
Kids and Privacy
For children who visit our site, special rules apply. We do not request personal information about children, such as first and last name or street address and city. When kids send email to us, their online contact information (email address) is not used to re-contact them and is not maintained in retrievable form.
Opt-Out or Change Your Contact Information
Our site provides users the opportunity to opt-out of receiving communications from us through a special online form. You may choose to receive only specific communications or none at all. You may also update your contact information previously provided to us through another online form. You can not remove yourself from our database, but you can prevent unwanted communication.
Questions about our policies
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this Web site, you can contact us at:
POLICY AND GUIDELINES FOR PROPER USEBack to top
All information contained on the Site or Service remains the property of the Alumni Association and may not be reproduced in whole or in part by any person or entity without the written permission of the Alumni Association. The Service is provided to encourage communication among alumni and students for personal and professional networking and university-related activities. Communications among alumni and students are not intended for publication or retransmission in any media. Furthermore, the use of the online Directory to reproduce or store personally identifiable information in a retrieval system by any means, electronic or mechanical, or the use of addresses or other information contained in the Directory for any public, private, commercial or political purpose is strictly prohibited. Use of any information available on the Service is subject to the provisions of the Rules for Online Conduct section below.
RULES FOR ONLINE CONDUCT
All information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages or other materials or communications ("Content"), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from which that Content originated. This means that you, and not the Alumni Association, are entirely responsible for all Content that you post or otherwise transmit using the Service.
By accessing the Site or Service, you agree to use the Service in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and abide by the following rules for online conduct:
- Users will not reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell, transmit, upload, download or exploit any portion of the Service, use of the Service, or access to the Service, for any , commercial, public or political purpose, including but not limited to advertising, solicitation, cold-calling or mass mailing.
- Users will not post or otherwise transmit any of the following Content on the Site or Service:
- Material that defames, abuses or threatens others
- Statements that are bigoted, hateful or racially offensive
- Material that advocates illegal activity
- Material that discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them
- Unauthorized copyrighted material
- Material that contains vulgar, obscene or indecent language or images
- Advertising or any form of public, commercial or political solicitation
- Users will not post or otherwise transmit any Content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements).
- Users will not post or otherwise transmit any Content that infringes any privacy, publicity, patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any person or entity, including but not limited to communications that violate other user's privacy, such as granting access to the Service or distributing information obtained from the Services to non-alumni.
- Users will not post or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes", or any other form of solicitation, or use any distribution lists to any person who has not given specific permission to be included in that type of process.
- Users will not impersonate any person or entity, including but not limited to any Alumni Association official, alumnus, student or other, falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity, or manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any Content transmitted through the Service.
- Users will not post or otherwise transmit any Content that inaccurately implies endorsement, approval or sponsorship by the Alumni Association or any of our offices or officers.
- Users will not post or otherwise transmit any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs that interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any software or equipment.
- Users will not interfere with or disrupt use or enjoyment of the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service.
- Users will not intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, including but not limited to regulations relating to the export or transmission of technical data, regulations promulgated by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, any rules of any national or other securities exchange, and any regulations having the force of law.
- Users will not collect or store personal data about other users except as expressly permitted under these Terms and Conditions of Use.
- Users will not access or attempt to access any other user's account.
Upon discovery, the Alumni Association reserves the right to remove any Content posted or transmitted to the Site that violates the above rules, but is under no obligation to do so. The Alumni Association does not routinely screen or monitor all Content and cannot guarantee that Content in violation of the Rules of Online Conduct will not be posted or transmitted. For this reason, Users should report any abuses or misuses of the Service to the Alumni Association.
If the Alumni Association determines that a User's participation in the Service may create a liability for the Alumni Association or the university, or that the User has violated policies set forth herein, the Alumni Association reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take actions against the User. The Alumni Association reserves the right to expel a User and to deny a User further access to the Service if such User violates these Rules of Online Conduct or any applicable laws or regulations.
Back to top
CONTENT ACCESSEDBack to top
The Alumni Association does not control or endorse the Content available through the Service and so does not guarantee the accuracy, reliability, integrity or quality of that Content. You understand that by using the Service, you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent or objectionable. Under no circumstances will the Alumni Association be liable in any way for any Content, including but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any Content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Content posted or otherwise transmitted using the Service. You must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any Content, including but not limited to any reliance on the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of that Content.
CONTENT SUBMITTEDBack to top
The Alumni Association does not own Content you submit, unless we specifically tell you otherwise before you submit it. You license the Content to the Alumni Association as set forth below for the purpose of displaying and distributing that Content in connection with the Service. By submitting Content in connection with use of the Service, you automatically warrant that the owner of that Content has expressly granted to the Alumni Association the perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, and fully sub-licensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display that Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. The Alumni Association does not pre-screen Content, but the Alumni Association has the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to refuse, edit, move or remove any Content that is available through the Service. Without limiting the foregoing, the Alumni Association has the right to remove any Content that violates these Terms or is otherwise objectionable.
You shall indemnify and hold the Alumni Association, and its service providers and their respective directors, trustees, officials, managers, faculty, officers, employees, agents and contractors, harmless from any claim or demand, including but not limited to reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of Content that you provide, your use of the Service, or your violation of these Terms.
TERMINATIONBack to top
ADVERTISER INFORMATION AND LINKSBack to top
Your correspondence or business dealings with, or participation in promotions of, advertisers found on or through the Service or Site, including but not limited to payment and delivery of related goods or services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with those dealings, are solely between you and the advertiser. The Alumni Association is not responsible or liable for any loss or damage of any sort incurred as the result of any of those dealings or as a result of the presence of those advertisers on the Service.
The Service or Site may provide, or service providers or other third parties may provide, links to other World Wide Web sites or resources. Because the Alumni Association has no control over those sites and resources, the Alumni Association is not responsible for the availability of those sites or resources, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any Content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from any of those sites or resources. Further, neither the Alumni Association nor any of its service providers is responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any Content, goods or services available on or through any of those sites or resources.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT:
- YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. EACH OF THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION AND ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT;
- NEITHER THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION NOR ANY OF ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS MAKES ANY WARRANTY THAT (i) THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (ii) THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE; (iii) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE SERVICE WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE; (iv) THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION OR OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO BY YOU THROUGH THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS; OR (v) ANY DEFECTS IN THE SERVICE WILL BE CORRECTED;
- ANY MATERIAL OBTAINED THROUGH THE SERVICE IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY MATERIAL; AND
- NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION OR ANY OF ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS OR THROUGH OR FROM THE SERVICE CREATES ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THESE TERMS OF SERVICE.
Back to top
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT NEITHER THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION NOR ANY OF ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS IS LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE OR DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (EVEN IF THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION OR ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES AND REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ACTION WHETHER IN CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORT, STRICT PRODUCT LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION OR ITS SERVICE PROVIDER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES), RESULTING FROM:
- THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE;
- THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES RESULTING FROM ANY GOODS, DATA, INFORMATION OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED OR MESSAGES RECEIVED OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH OR FROM THE SERVICE;
- UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA;
- STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE SERVICE;
- CHANGES TO THESE TERMS OF SERVICE;
- FAILURE BY THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION OR ITS DESIGNEE TO ENFORCE THESE TERMS OF SERVICE;
- TERMINATION, SUSPENSION OR UNAVAILABILITY OF THE SERVICE OR ANY PART OF THE SERVICE OR ANY ASSOCIATED FEATURES OR FUNCTIONS; OR
- ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE SERVICE.
Back to top